We’re all about being active members of our community, which is why we’re helping with the creation of Tawa MenzShed. Everyone should have a warm and welcoming place to meet new people, share experiences, and learn new creative and practical skills.
What is MenzShed?
For those who don’t know, MenzShed is a non-profit charitable organisation and a community-based support project. Henley and Kapiti already have their own successful MenzSheds, and now we are planning on building one in Tawa. MenzShed aims to bring men and women together in one community space to share their skills, have a laugh, and work on practical wood-working & metal-working tasks individually (personal projects) or as a group (for the Shed or community), while promoting health and well-being. Each MenzShed is equipped with tools and machinery, but members are welcome to bring in their own kits too.
Give a Little to Your Community
After seeing the success of MenzSheds in Henley and Kapiti, we want to build one in Tawa. Smartway Builders is the principal sponsor of Tawa MenzShed, but we need support from the wider Tawa, Wellington and New Zealand community to make it all happen. We’ve created a Give a Little page to collect donations for this fantastic cause, so if you’d like to support the elderly men in Tawa, please give as little or as much as you can!
What’s Been Happening So Far?
Wellington City Council has made the southern end of the Rural Fire Building available for use. Once we have the funds, our builders begin working on construction and the internal fit-out. Here is our to-do list to get MenzShed up and running:
- New timber and plywood floor so the area is fully accessible to all members, including any with restricted mobility.
- Closing off the partition wall to adjacent soil storage bay.
- New internal partition walls and ceilings to provide storage and community areas, including timber framing, insulation, gib and painting.
- Shelving and cupboards.
- Health and safety requirements.
- Fire-rated door to adjacent kitchen and toilet facilities (including need for plans and consent).
- Benches and work areas, including some adjustable height units.
- New primary entry door and mobility ramp.
- Security, electrical and fire safety requirements.
With help from members of our community, we hope this list will be ticked off soon!
Smartway Builders is more than your regular team of local builders. Yes, we do home alterations, extensions and new builds, but we also love getting involved in community projects such as this. What’s a community without its people?